Taste of Borneo Cooking Class
Discover Sabah Borneo culinary with the authentic taste, colors, and aromas present in the local dishes. We offer you a completely unique experience for your trip in Sabah Borneo. Take part in this cooking class run by a local family at the outskirts part of Kota Kinabalu City. Learn the secret family recipe and cook like a local in Sabah Borneo. Enjoy this hands-on cooking lesson and finish with a lunch meal made by yourselves. Spend time with us for a few hours on this tour, and we promise you will go home with some great memories (and photos!) of the unique experience. Apart from that, this tour also offers a greater insight into the food, people, and customs of Sabah.
A taste of Borneo Cooking Class day tour is nothing like a usual cooking class. You’ll get the chance to visit the authentic local market or Tamu. It is where you will experience the sights and sound of the locals’ daily activities. The host family will take you on a guided tour of the tamu area for an introduction of the local produce. After that, the host family will bring you to their house for you to learn cooking the traditional dishes. During the class, it is a great time to gain a greater understanding of Sabah Borneo food. Take the chance to learn the family secret recipe and enjoy cooking like a local. After cooking, sit together with the host family and enjoy the meal made by yourselves. Talk with the host family to know more about the culture and heritage of Sabah Borneo. Before the tour ends, you’ll be presented with a recipe book as a souvenir to bring back home. Feel free to test out your cooking skills of preparing the dishes whenever you like back home.
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||Any Hotels in Kota Kinabalu|
|DEPARTURE TIME||Between 0900 am – 0915 am from your hotel lobby|
|RETURN TIME||Approximately 2:00 PM.|
|WEAR||Comfortable clothing, Shoes/Sandals.|
√ Please bring camera, some extra money for the market or drinks at Momma’s house and your appetite!
- Meet and greet with our friendly driver and our local Sabahan Instructor. Head up straight to Penampang market or called as “Penampang Tamu” in local language located just outside of kota kinabalu area.
- Upon arrival, the instructor will explain you on how the locals buy and pick up fresh local herbs where the locals gather each morning to ferret out the freshest vegetables, meats and spices which vary with the season and some exotic flowers all at a good bargain price.
- Afterward proceed to “Momma’s House” in one of the oldest local villages in the Kota Kinabalu area. Here you will be treated like family and learn the secret family recipes to cook like a Sabahan.
- Get ready, wear your apron and get hands-on for your cooking experience. Slicing, grinding, and chopping will be done hands on with the watchful of our instructor in accordance with the local menu .
- After preparing and cooking, enjoy the fruits of your labor – your very own freshly-cooked meals Let’s eat! Taste your and Momma’s dishes, At your leisure Have fun taking pictures before transfer back to your hotel with a recipe book, some stories and definitely a full belly!