Jungle Trekking Kawang Forest Reserve
Kawang Forest Reserve is a diamond in the rough for jungle lovers. The opportunity to see animals along with the leave no trace trekking philosophy makes this destination a beautiful and easily accessible introduction to the Borneo jungle.
Kawang Forest Reserve makes an ideal day tour from Kota Kinabalu. Choose from our day tour options or 3 day 2 night option which includes hammock camping in the forest reserve and a second night in the lovely Mondikot Deer Camp.
Short on time but itching to experience the Borneo jungle? This is the location for you! Kawang Forest Reserve is a 1551 hectare protected rainforest less than 30 km from Kota Kinabalu. It boasts an abundance of tree and plant species, a 2 story tall waterfall, bat cave, and numerous wildlife species. The Kawang Forest Reserve takes you on an amazing trek through the jungle. This is a perfect day trip or multi-day trip to an exotic location and easily accessible by road from Sabah’s capital city. Kawang Forest reserve is great for trekkers of all fitness levels.
Itinerary – Kawang Forest Reserve Day Trip
- 7:30AM-8:00AM: Driver will pick guests up from their hotel.
- Upon arrival, guests will meet up with the jungle guide for a quick briefing and then begin start their trekking adventure in the Kawang Forest Reserve.
- The guide will provide a detailed explanation about the Borneo rainforest and along the way, guests will have the opportunity to see the waterfall, jungle rivers, Belian trees (the world’s hardest wood), bat cave, various species of birds, wildlife, and interesting plants.
- Lunch will be a pack lunch served during the trek. After, guests will descend back to the Kawang Recreation Center. Upon arrival the driver will bring guests back to their hotel.
- 3:00PM: Approximate arrival in Kota Kinabalu
Itinerary – 3 Day 2 Night – Kawang Forest Reserve and Mondikot Deer Camp
Day 1: Kota Kinabalu – Kawang Forest Reserve
- 7:30 am (approx): Pick up from hotel in Kota Kinabalu and transfer to Kawang Forest Reserve.
- 8:30 am (approx): Arrive at Kawang Recreation Centre.
- Quick briefing.
- Commence trekking (Waterfall, Belian tree, lianas, big banir, bat cave, birds)
- Check point ridge line 1 (1500 feet elevation, lantern bugs, big squirrels, birds).
- Continue trekking to Lawi campsite (Tongkat Ali, monkeys, porcupine, birds, creeper plant, hornbills)
- 12:30 pm (approx): Lunch
- Trek to Lawi Campsite
- Free at own leisure
- 6:00 pm (approx):Dinner
- After dinner, relax
- Overnight in hammock in the reserve.
Day 2: Kawang Forest Reserve- Mondikot Deer Camp
- 8:00 am (approx): Breakfast
- Continue trek to Mondikot Deer Camp
- 12:30 pm (approx): Lunch at Mondikot Deer Camp
- After lunch, free time to enjoy any of the following:
- Deer farm
- Treehouse or walk the hanging bridge
- Swim in the river
- Fishing at the pond
- 4:30 pm (approx): Kaiduan River experience
- 6:30 pm (approx): Dinner
- After dinner relax around the bonfire
- Overnite in Dome tent
Day 3: Mondikot Deer Camp – Kota Kinabalu
- 7:00 am(approx): Morning walk
- 8:00 am(approx): Breakfast
- 9:30 am (approx): Transfer back to Kota Kinabalu