Annah Rais Longhouse – Bidayuh Homestay Experience
The friendly Bidayuh aren’t the only highlight of this trip as the Annah Rais Longhouse is situated in pristine rainforest and is surrounded by mountains and quaint farms. The area that surrounds Annah Rais is great for hiking, with tall trees and many bird species. Various rivers run through these lands and there is even a hot spring within walking distance from the longhouse.
About the Tour:
The 2 day, 1 night Annah Rais Longhouse Bidayuh experience starts with a drive that takes you from the large city of Kuching into the hinterlands of Borneo. The short drive takes you along the back roads and through green jungle with pockets of sleepy villages dotting the landscape. Upon arrival at the longhouse, you will experience the Bidayuh hospitality and learn all about the culture and history of this native tribe. Our expert guide will bring you on a trek through the jungle to explain about the flora and fauna found in this area. Along the way, you will visit a waterfall where you can take a cooling swim. In the evening, you will spend time with your Bidayuh hosts and get to taste the local cuisine, while you learn the lifestyle and traditions of the Bidayuh. They will share with you their headhunting stories of old and give you insight into their unique customs and rural farming lifestyle.
About Annah Rais Longhouse:
Annah Rais is a traditional wooden Bidayuh Longhouse. The community still lives in this traditional village and happily receives guests to share their culture with. Even though the longhouse is traditional, its inhabitants also live in the modern day and age and therefore have access to electricity and telephones. Nevertheless, the longhouse dwellers will generally go out every day to tend to their farms and gardens. The village is estimated to be about a hundred years old and has been expanding for just as long. The core of the village is the longhouse, surrounded by individual houses. All of the houses and front doors are connected by pathways. The village houses a traditional Skull House, where one can still see skulls that are kept from the headhunting days.
About the Bidayuh People:
Top Peak Travel Borneo’s team has been to Annah Rais Longhouse on many occasions. We love visiting every single time because the hospitality of the Bidayuh people and the beautiful jungle make this place a wonderful cultural and scenic experience. The Bidayuh are a unique people and spending a night in their traditional longhouse is an unforgettable experience that will leave you with a newfound knowledge of the culture of these natives of Borneo.
Day 1 Kuching – Annah Rais Longhouse
- Pick up from Kuching City Hotels.
- Scenic drive to Annah Rais Longhouse (approximately 1.5 hours).
- Arrive at the longhouse to a welcoming by your Bidayuh hosts.
- Check into your guest room and get ready for the jungle activities.
- Go for a hike through the forest while the guide explains about the flora and fauna found in the area.
- Learn some basic survival skills with your local guide.
- Continue trekking to a stunning 3-tiered waterfall and enjoy a swim in the refreshing water.
- Enjoy a picnic lunch that is prepared on the spot.
- Return to the longhouse and learn more about the Bidayuh lifestyle.
- Take a guided walk through the village.
- Relax in the afternoon.
- Dinner and overnight at the homestay.
Day 2 Annah Rais Longhouse – Kuching
- Enjoy a local breakfast in the homestay.
- Say goodbye to your new-found friends in the longhouse.
- Return to Kuching.
Learn More about Annah Rais Longhouse:
- Sarawak Tourism Board – Visit Annah Rais Longhouse
- Wonderful Malaysia – Bidayuh Life Annah Rais Longhouse