Kota Kinabalu Cooking Class
With our cooking class, you will enjoy first hand interaction with local culture, local markets, and of course, food during this gastronomy based experience in Kota Kinabalu. This lovely class provides a unique culinary experience with mouthwatering cuisine.
In Kota Kinabalu and Sabah, food is one of the most important parts of life. In fact, locals will ask you if you have eaten yet before they even ask how you are doing.
The Kota Kinabalu Cooking Class is more than a cooking class with a guided market tour, personal interaction with your local hosts, learning how to make local dishes, and, most importantly, sitting down to eat, or as we call it “makan-makan. You will get a great insight into the daily life of a Sabahan with our cooking class. We recommend you bring a lot of questions and a big appetite for an experience you won’t forget.
Here are some of the traditional dishes you wll be making and local ingredients you will be working with (the exact dishes and ingredients depend on the season):
- Pakis (Local wild fern)
- Tuhau (delicious, tangy wild ginger)
- Bunga Kantan (edible ginger flower)
- Takob akob (a local fruit added to dishes for tartness)
- Belecan (shrimp paste…sounds weird, smells bad, but tastes oh.so.good.)
- 9:00AM: Meet and greet with our friendly driver and our local Sabahan Instructor. Head straight to the market, or as we call it, the “Pasar”.
- Upon arrival, your instructor give you a guided tour. Along the way, they will explain to how the locals buy their fruits, vegetables, meats, and other supplies for the day.
- After visiting the market, your driver will bring you to the class, which just happens to be a local restaurant. Here you will not only learn how to prepare some amazing dishes, but you will get to see how a local restaurant can serve as a community gathering place.
- Under your friendly instructor’s guidance, you will begin the preparation of your lunch. This is a hands on experience as you chop and prepare all of the ingredients before you get to cooking. Once everything is ready, the instructor will show you how Asians primarily utilize the wok for any range of dishes.
- After preparing and cooking it will finally be time for you to enjoy the fruits of your labor – your very own freshly-cooked Malaysian style meal. Take your time to eat and get plenty of pictures. Here in Borneo, there is never a rush….as we say here in Sabah, “Pelan-Pelan” which means “no rush”.
- 2:00PM (approx) arrive back at your hotel.