Kota Kinabalu City Tour
Kota Kinabalu is the gateway to the Malaysian Borneo’s state of Sabah. We take you not only to the highlights around the city center but also get out into the suburbs to experience some of the natural beauty of the area and see some off the beaten path locations that other city tours don’t offer. This great day out takes you to local markets, fantastic local food shops, the floating mosque, Atkinson Clock Tower, and in our opinion, the best view of the city and surrounding areas from Crocker Range National Park.
When exploring any city, it’s ideal to find the charm that makes the place special. That is our goal with our Kota Kinabalu City Tour. We start out in the city center showing off the historical areas for you to understand where kota kinabalu grew from. We share the history of the city, the inhabitants, and how Sabah went from British North Borneo to being part of Malaysia. Then we get out of the city center and tourist hotspots to take you off the tourist trail to visit some of the lesser known locations for travelers to Sabah. Our handpicked markets When exploring any city, it’s ideal to find the charm that makes the place special. That is our goal with our Kota Kinabalu City & Nature tour. We start out in the city center showing off the historical areas for you to understand where kota kinabalu grew from. We share the history of the city, the inhabitants, and how Sabah went from British North Borneo to being part of Malaysia. Then we get out of the city center and tourist hotspots to take you off the tourist trail to visit some of the lesser known locations for travelers to Sabah. Our handpicked markets and restaurants ensure you will get a authentic experience during this great day out. Top that off with a world class, 180 degree view of the city, islands and clear blue oceans of the coast gives you some diverse knowledge of the capital city of Sabah.
- Meet and greet your driver at your hotel lobby at 9am.
- First stop of your city tour will be the famous floating mosque of Kota Kinabalu. Here you will learn about the predominant religion of Malaysia and get some great photos. Upon request we can bring you into the mosque for a look around but proper attire must be worn to enter this religious building.
- Next we will bring to the Atkinson clock tower which is the oldest remaining wooden building in Kota Kinabalu. Here you will learn some of the Borneo history around WW2 and the Japanese occupation of Borneo.
- Now for the fun stuff as we head to Penampang, a district on the outskirts of Kota Kinabalu that few tourist get to enjoy. This area is predominantly indigenous Kadazan but is known to be a melting pot of cultures with many Indian, Chinese, Malay, and different local ethnicities all living together in harmony. First stop on the Kota Kinabalu City Tour here will be a “tamu” or local market where the majority of locals buy their produce, seafood, fresh meat, herbs and fruit, daily. It is a treat to observe the sights and smells of a truly Sabahan market.
- After the market, we’ll take you to lunch at a well known Kota Kinabalu restaurant that most people on a city tour would not get a chance to enjoy. Here you will mix with locals and get some insight into daily life and the “kedai kopi culture”. While all this is going on your food will be presented and some of the tasty dishes Borneo is known for will be within your reach. Always ask the drivers for a recommendation to try something outside your normal restaurant fare.
- After your leisurely lunch you’ll start your journey up toward the Crocker Range National Park, observing local villages along the way. Feel free to ask questions to increase your knowledge of the area. Once in the lush jungle of the park keep an eye out as you ascend for that amazing view of Kota Kinabalu city and surrounding areas. We think this is the absolute best viewpoint of the capital city of Sabah and hope you will too. If you’re lucky you’ll be able to see Mt Kinabalu looming over the ocean.
- After resting at the viewpoint at your leisure, our driver will return you back to your hotel by mid afternoon.
Want to see the real Kota Kinabalu?