Kiulu Farmstay: A Rural Sabah Homestay Experience
From waterfall treks to planting rice fields, this beautiful Sabah homestay experience has a lot to offer. Located in the rural Kiulu area, it is accessible by car in less than two hours from Kota Kinabalu.
Come by and checkout Kiulu Farmstay during your Borneo Holiday!
About the Tour:
We take you from your hotel in Kota Kinabalu on a two hour drive to the rural countryside and the sleepy village of Kiulu. This indigenous Dusun community is where your 3 day Sabah homestay experience begins.
During your stay, the friendly guides will introduce you to life around the village. Depending on the time of year, you will get to participate in rice planting, rice harvesting, or pounding the rice to release it from the husk.
You’ll learn from our guides how to tap rubber trees, use a traditional blowpipe, and traditional Dusun games and foods.
All along the way, you’ll be greeted by the friendly villagers and have plenty of opportunity to get to know people who reside in this lovely community.
This ecotourism experience doesn’t end with a cultural experience. You will have plenty of time to admire the natural beauty that this part of Borneo has to offer. The river is just a short jaunt away and you will be free to wander around and admire the quaint traditional rice fields and architecture surrounded by hilly sub-tropical montane rainforest.
This is a picture perfect Borneo holiday experience.
Day 1 Kota Kinabalu – Kiulu Farmstay
- Our friendly driver will pick you up from the hotel and you will head out for Kiulu. You will have time for a short visit to the village of Tamparuli to check out the famous Tamparuli suspension bridge and the nearby local markets.
- Upon arrival at the Kiulu Farmstay, you will be welcomed by your local guide to welcome you and briefed on the activities during your stay.
- Next, participate in some of the traditional activities such as traditional rice processing, blowpipe, rice planting and rubber tapping before lunch.
- Lunch: You will be treated to a delicious lunch with local traditional food.
- After lunch, we’ll give you a tour of Kiulu village where you will get the chance to see the scenic view of the valley, passing through the local school, paddy fields, hanging bridge, and more before returning back to your homestay. If the time and weather permits, feel free to go for a cooling dip at the Kiulu River before dinner time.
- After dinner you’ll be free to relax or hang out with the local villagers while listening to their stories about the village and folktales before bedtime.* If you are keen for a more adventurous experience in Kiulu, there are several optional activities that can be done, such as biking, trekking, water tubing, and cultural activities. Feel free to ask your host about these activities offered.
Day 2: Kiulu Farmstay
- Proceed to a primary school for a quick tour and to say hi to the kids who are always ecstatic to have visitors.
- Follow your guide a jungle trek with your local guide. Along the way, they will show you the various edible plants that are found in the jungle of Borneo.
- After your trek, return back to your the village for a delicious home-cooked lunch.
- After lunch, the villagers will show you how to make traditional handicrafts and how to play the traditional games.
- If the time and weather permits, you can go for a swim at the cooling Kiulu River before dinner time.
- After dinner, spend some time with the locals or feel free to relax and take it all in.
Day 3: Kiulu Farmstay – Kota Kinabalu
- Bid goodbye with the locals and prepare to depart back to Kota Kinabalu or onwards to the next adventure.