Borneo Mangrove Canoeing
Canoeing in the Ulu Bongawan river and its estuaries affords you the chance to see native wildlife in the mangroves without the noise of motor boats or city traffic. Relax in this serene natural setting while navigating your way through the mangroves with your experienced jungle guide before reaching a beach area that’s great for a swim and light refreshments with your guide.
Mangrove forests are an important part of Borneo’s coastal habitat. They protect the coastline from erosion, they act as a sanctuary for many aquatic creatures to escape predation, and they act as a nursery for young aquatic animals.
The mangroves in the Ulu Bongawan are home to many types of wildlife including crabs, fish, snakes, crocodiles, and monkeys.
Our canoeing trip will put you up close and personal with this wildlife, while providing a relaxing slow moving river that makes the canoe trip a gratifying experience.
The canoe trip ends at a scenic local beach where you will be able to have a swim or simply relax on the soft sand. This is a great way to take an easy day and wind down from your time in Borneo or get introduced Borneo’s coastal area before heading out on bigger adventures.
- 8:00 AM (approx) Pick from Kota Kinabalu are hotel and transfer to Bongawan (approximately 1 hour).
- Welcome briefing & quick tutorial
- Commence relaxing paddling journey (plenty of rest stops along the route).
- Arrive in Ulu Bongawan.
- Lunch in the Borneo mangroves.
- Paddle to finishing point and transfer to the beach.
- Relax & cool down in the waters of the South China Sea.
- Transfer to pick up point, light refreshments.
- Program closure & prepare for departure.
- 2:30 PM (approx) Depart for Kota Kinabalu