Sabah’s Lost World – Maliau Basin Trek
Journey deep into Sabah’s Lost World on this 4 day adventure. This trek takes you through some of the oldest virgin jungle in Borneo’s Maliau Basin where you will be surrounded by massive ancient trees in a place where very few people have ever set foot. This trek will culminate in your arrival at Maliau Falls, a giant 7 tiered waterfall.
Join us for a trip into this beautiful and scientifically important paradise known as Sabah’s Lost World.
About the Tour:
The Sabah’s Lost World Trek in Maliau Basin takes you through pristine, untouched rainforest teeming with wildlife, to the stunning Maliau Falls. The forest is teeming with wildlife and massive trees which will put you in awe through the course of the trek.
Adventure and amazement lurk at every corner of this trek as you hike up the rim of Maliau Basin and down into one of the most biodiverse and scientifically important places on earth. Your companions in Sabah’s Lost World will be orangutans, gibbons, pygmy elephants, and other unique wildlife.
Reaching Maliau Falls will make this challenging trek worth it as you witness nature at the apex of its beauty.
About Sabah’s Lost World, Maliau Basin Conservation Area :
Maliau Basin was listed as a conservation area in 1981 after the Sabah Government’s charitable brach, the Sabah Foundation (Yayasan Sabah) recognized the unique nature of Maliau Basin and the need to protect it. In 1997, that status was upgraded to a Class 1 protected forest, which bans all logging and industrial activities.
Maliau Basin has significant scientific importance and research in the area is ongoing year round. Sabah’s Lost World is home to a diverse array of species of insects, plants, and animals. This includes unique species of orchids and insects, found nowhere else. The studies that occur at Maliau are helping scientists understand everything from evolution to climate change.
One cool thing to note is that there are parts of Maliau Basin that people are not allowed to enter. These parts are being preserved in an untouched state for research by future generations.
Day 1 Kota Kinabalu – Maliau Basin
- Depart from your hotel for Maliau Basin.
- Upon arrival at the Maliau Basin headquarters, you will check-in and enjoy your lunch.
- Short guided walk, followed by free time.
- After dinner, there is an optional night drive to spot some of the nocturnal Borneo Wildlife including the pygmy elephant.
Day 2 Maliau Basin Headquarters – Ginseng Camp
- Transfer by vehicle to Agathis Camp.
- Trek from Agathis Camp to Ginseng Camp (9 KM approximately)
- Lunch en-route.
- Arrival at Ginseng Camp: Set-up camp and visit Ginseng falls.
Day 3 Ginseng Camp – Maliau Falls
- Early breakfast.
- Trek from Ginseng Camp to Maliau Falls (5 KM approximately).
- Arrival at Maliau Falls: Eat lunch, swim, take photos, relax, stand in awe.
- Return to Ginseng Camp.
Day 4 Ginseng Camp to Maliau Basin Headquarters
- Early breakfast.
- Trek to Agathis Camp (9 KM approximately)
- Transfer by car to Maliau Basin headquarters
- Return to Kota Kinabalu
Sabah’s Lost World is off the beaten path…but we can you further off the beaten path. Ask us how.