Mount Kinabalu Climbing Experience
Our three day Mount Kinabalu Climb will challenge you and reward you. Stunning vistas, towering granite peaks, and a unique tropical setting await.
Mount Kinabalu and Kinabalu National Park surrounding it is one of the most biodiverse areas on our planet. Even with the height reaching 4095 meters (13,435 ft) Mount kinabalu is very a very accessible climb. It is the tallest mountain in the region and boasts amazing sunrises and views from its summit. Climbing Mount Kinabalu is the highlight of any travel to Borneo.
The Kinabalu National Park area is home to over 5000 species of vascular plants, some of which are endemic only to the park. This amazing park and mountain have earned a UNESCO world heritage designation and rightfully so. It has to be experienced to be believed.
About the Tour
Our Mount Kinabalu climb starts with a scenic trip from Kota Kinabalu to Kinabalu National Park. This first day gives you a chance to wander the park and get acclimated. The second and third days are where the real challenge lies. On the second day you begin the first leg of your summit as you strike out from Timpohon gate to the base camp. On the third day, we get you to the summit for the sunrise before you descend all the way back down.
Climbing Mount Kinabalu is a challenging feat, but we promise it’s worth it. This wonderful climb is frequented by travelers from all over the globe. There are many special locations in Borneo and Mount Kinabalu literally and figuratively stands at the top of that list.
About Mt. Kinabalu and Kinabalu National Park
Gunung Kinabalu, as it is known in Malay, is a special place to locals of Sabah. This stunningly beautiful area contains some of the richest biodiversity on earth with a wide range of flora and fauna amidst tropical lowland, hill rainforest, tropical mountain forest, subalpine forest and scrub in the upper elevations.
This area was gazetted as malaysia’s first UNESCO world heritage site in 2000 and is known in the scientific community as centre of plant diversity for Southeast Asia as it contains half of all Borneo’s plant species within its boundaries.
Mount Kinabalu began forming millions of years ago and continues to grow to this day. The mountain reaches 4095 meters at its summit. Believe it or not, the mountain was most likely completely covered by glaciers around 100,000 years ago.
Day 1: Kota Kinabalu – Kinabalu National Park
- Pick up from Kota Kinabalu airport or at your respective hotel by our friendly guide and driver who will share their local knowledge and bring you by some viewpoints and markets along the way to Kinabalu National Park.
- Upon arrival, we’ll get you registered and checked in to your room.
- For the rest of the day, you are free to wander the multitude of trails around Kinabalu National Park.
Day 2: Timpohon Gate – Laban Rata Base Camp
- Early rise for the first leg of the Mount Kinabalu Climb.
- Breakfast at Balsam café and claim your pack lunch.
- Here you will meet your local certified Mount Kinabalu guide and after a short briefing you will be transferred to the starting point, the Timpohon Gate, to begin the climb to base camp.
- Upon reaching the base camp accommodation, you will have time to rest before enjoying a buffet dinner at Laban Rata.
Day 3:Laban Rata – Summit – Timpohon Gate
- 3AM wake up to begin the summit climb.
- Most of the summit climb will be in the dark. As the sun begins to rise, prepare to be in awe as you rise up over Borneo.
- Summit: Once you reach the summit, you will have ample time to look out over the stunning mountains, jungle, and oceans of Borneo, snap some photos, and have breakfast.
- Descend the mountain to Timpohon gate, then stop by the Balsam cafe for lunch.
- After lunch, say goodbye to your guide and meet your driver for the transfer back to Kota Kinabalu or onward to your next destination.
See what we have to say about Mount Kinabalu:
See what others have to say about Mount Kinabalu:
Our expert staff are standing by to help you plan the perfect Borneo experience.