Mount Kinabalu Climbing Experience
Our three day Mount Kinabalu Climbs will challenge you and reward you. Stunning vistas, towering granite peaks, and a unique tropical setting await.
Mount Kinabalu and Kinabalu National Park surrounding it is one of the most biodiverse areas on our planet. Even with the height reaching 4095 meters (13,435 ft) Mount kinabalu is very a very accessible climb. It is the tallest mountain in the region and boasts amazing sunrises and views from its summit. Climbing Mount Kinabalu is the highlight of any travel to Borneo.
The Kinabalu National Park area is home to over 5000 species of vascular plants, some of which are endemic only to the park. This amazing park and mountain have earned a UNESCO world heritage designation and rightfully so. It has to be experienced to be believed.
About the Tour
Our Mount Kinabalu climbs star with a scenic trip from Kota Kinabalu to Kinabalu National Park. This first day gives you a chance to wander the park and get acclimated. The second and third days are where the real challenge lies.
Choose from a 3 day 2 night climb to the summit, or get more daring and throw in the via ferrata for some real mountain excitement. Whichever one you choose, we promise you will be awestruck when you reach the top.
Climbing Mount Kinabalu is a challenging feat, but we promise it’s worth it. This wonderful climb is frequented by travelers from all over the globe. There are many special locations in Borneo and Mount Kinabalu literally and figuratively stands at the top of that list.
About Mt. Kinabalu and Kinabalu National Park
Gunung Kinabalu, as it is known in Malay, is a special place to locals of Sabah. This stunningly beautiful area contains some of the richest biodiversity on earth with a wide range of flora and fauna amidst tropical lowland, hill rainforest, tropical mountain forest, subalpine forest and scrub in the upper elevations.
This area was gazetted as malaysia’s first UNESCO world heritage site in 2000 and is known in the scientific community as centre of plant diversity for Southeast Asia as it contains half of all Borneo’s plant species within its boundaries.
Mount Kinabalu began forming millions of years ago and continues to grow to this day. The mountain reaches 4095 meters at its summit. Believe it or not, the mountain was most likely completely covered by glaciers around 100,000 years ago.
Day 1: Kota Kinabalu – Kinabalu National Park
- Pick up from Kota Kinabalu airport or at your respective hotel by our friendly guide and driver who will share their local knowledge and bring you by some viewpoints and markets along the way to Kinabalu National Park.
- Upon arrival, we’ll get you registered and checked in to your room.
- For the rest of the day, you are free to wander the multitude of trails around Kinabalu National Park.
Day 2: Timpohon Gate – Laban Rata Base Camp
- Early rise for the first leg of the Mount Kinabalu Climb.
- Breakfast at Balsam café and claim your pack lunch.
- Here you will meet your local certified Mount Kinabalu guide and after a short briefing you will be transferred to the starting point, the Timpohon Gate, to begin the climb to base camp.
- Upon reaching the base camp accommodation, you will have time to rest before enjoying a buffet dinner at Laban Rata.
Day 3:Laban Rata – Summit – Timpohon Gate
- 3AM wake up to begin the summit climb.
- Most of the summit climb will be in the dark. As the sun begins to rise, prepare to be in awe as you rise up over Borneo.
- Summit: Once you reach the summit, you will have ample time to look out over the stunning mountains, jungle, and oceans of Borneo, snap some photos, and have breakfast.
- Descend the mountain to Timpohon gate, then stop by the Balsam cafe for lunch.
- After lunch, say goodbye to your guide and meet your driver for the transfer back to Kota Kinabalu or onward to your next destination.
Itinerary – 3D2N Via Ferrata
Day 1: Kota Kinabalu – Kinabalu National Park – Pendant Hut
Pick-up from your hotel lobby and depart on to Kinabalu National Park Headquarter for about 2 hours journey.
Upon arrival, pre-check-in at Mountain Torq’s office for verification with photo ID. Then, head to the Kinabalu National Park headquarters for registration and payment. Meet your appointed mountain guide(s) with Sabah Parks directly and apply for your Sabah Parks ID TAG. (Note: Remember to wear your ID TAG at all times.). Don’t forget to collect your packed lunch at the park’s restaurant.
Proceed to Timpohon Gate as your starting point to Laban Rata. Some climber may reach the Laban Rata area about 3 – 6 hours from starting up the Timpohon trail.
Arrive at Pendant Hut and check in to your accommodation. Get settled in before the mandatory via ferrata briefing.
Attend the mandatory via ferrata familiarization in Pendant Hut and meet your Mountain Torq trainer. (Note: There will be no repeat briefing and NO via Ferrata on the next day should you miss the mandatory briefing)
Have your dinner at Laban Rata’s canteen
Get ample of rest to prepare yourself for your exciting activity the next day. If the weather permits, feel free to go for stargazing at the area.
DAY 2 Pendant Hut – Summit Mount Kinabalu – Mountain Torq – Pendant Hut
1:30 am: Wake up for early supper at Laban Rata.
Head out on your journey towards the summit of Mount Kinabalu.
Reach Summit Low’s peak @ 4,095m and catch the beautiful sunrise.
Just below the summit meet your via ferrata guide at Sayat Sayat Hut (@ 3,668m) for your Walk the Torq via Ferrata experience.
Return to Pendant hut to wash up and head to Laban Rata for lunch.
After lunch, it is a free and easy activity. You can go recuperate yourself or relaxing at the base of Pendant hut while watching the mountain scenery.
Have your dinner at Laban Rata’s Restaurant and overnight at Pendant Hut.
DAY 3 Pendant Hut -Kinabalu National Park – Kota Kinabalu
Wake up and pack up. Then, have your breakfast before check out.
Proceed to descend down to Timpohon Gate with your mountain guide.
Upon arrival at the Timpohon Gate and transfer to the park headquarters to collect your certificate of achievement. Followed by, lunch will be served in Kinabalu Park HQ.
Our driver will pick you up for an overland journey back to Kota Kinabalu and transfer back to your hotel or airport
See what we have to say about Mount Kinabalu:
See what others have to say about Mount Kinabalu:
Your Borneo Experience, Your Way. Plan a trip made just for you.